The treatment of chronic prostatitis is a difficult problem even for modern medicine, often, despite all the measures taken, the chronic process cannot be completely eliminated. It is believed that reducing the intensity of the signals is already an effective result. It is worth considering that the clinical picture of prostate tumors (cancer) has a similar picture to that of the latent course of chronic prostatitis. For differentiation, PSA is determined, whose concentration is much higher in malignant neoplasms than in the classic inflammatory process.
The treatment of chronic prostatitis is a complex and time-consuming procedure that does not always lead to a complete cure.
Classics of appointments
Is there an effective treatment for the chronic form of the disease, and can you get rid of it quickly? This question is almost always asked by patients to urologists at the reception, and if the first part can be answered in the affirmative, then it will not be possible to get rid of the problem "quickly". The treatment of prostatitis takes exactly its development, namely: the rest of life. Completely eliminating chronic prostatitis and making the prostate "new" is, in principle, impossible. The only thing that can be done is to stop all unpleasant symptoms and delay the onset of relapses, but only on the condition that the man himself strictly follows all the doctor's prescriptions.
A classic example: a course of drugs, rectal massage and some other methods are prescribed, the plus is the normalization of lifestyle, the refusal of alcohol. As a rule, medications are taken, but with the rejection of alcoholic beverages, adequate food, the situation is much worse. And many men receive the massage with hostility, considering it a shameful manipulation. As a result, the treatment prescribed by the doctor turns out to be ineffective due to failure to comply with all the conditions of the therapy and the chronic process flows smoothly for impotence and other health problems.
It is important to remember that chronic prostatitis requires deeper attention than acute prostatitis. The course of therapy is multicomponent, for a specialist with many years of experience and with the development of modern medicine, the disease is not a problem.
In the exacerbation phase, the following methods are used:
- Antibiotic therapy.The choice of medication determines the result of the culture (sterility) or is based on the assumption of the cause of the disease. For severe fever and pain, medications are administered intravenously. Important: the entire course must be completed until the last day, even if the patient's condition has improved the next day.
- Alpha blockers.Medications are needed to relieve symptoms by relaxing the bladder neck and muscle fibers, where the prostate is adjacent to the bladder.
- NSAIDs and painkillers- helps in the treatment of chronic prostatitis and has anti-inflammatory effect.
- Rectal massage (direct).The recommended course is 10 to 12 procedures, performed professionally, helps to relieve symptoms and speed recovery.
These are the main methods always used, and additional physiotherapy with electrostimulation, laser therapy, electrophoresis is also recommended.
What will happen if you don't treat?
If prostatitis treatment is constantly ignored, then, in severely neglected cases, it will cause many problems that will completely ruin a man's life:
- Prostate abscess.
- Vesiculitis (inflammation in the seminal vesicles).
- Cysts, stones in the prostate.
- Prostate sclerosis.
- Impotence, infertility.
Each of these pathologies requires special attention and the treatment period will be much longer than in chronic prostatitis. In addition to physical illness, men develop psycho-emotional instability, become irritable, taciturn, depressed.
The full picture of therapy
Currently, the treatment regimen for prostatitis includes the following methods and techniques:
- Effective treatment aimed at eliminating the infectious factor (drugs).
- The course of restoration of the microcirculation of blood in the small pelvis and prostate.
- Increasing the body's immune status.
- Antispasmodic drugs.
- Painkillers and anti-inflammatories.
- Fortifying drugs and vitamin therapy.
- Local painkillers.
- Physiotherapy and hormonal therapy.
- Massage and take tranquilizers (sedatives).
- General methods (normalization of sleep, nutrition and rest).
- Spa treatment.
It should be emphasized that although the announced therapy course is quite complete, on a purely individual basis, the doctor may recommend to the patient the use of additional methods, including the use of folk remedies (herbal medicine). In addition, men whose lifestyle is "rather slow" or associated with a long stay in an uncomfortable position that causes blood to stagnate in the pelvis and prostate (office workers, security guards, drivers), it is recommended to take a courseof gymnastics to eliminate hypodynamics. This is an effective way to speed recovery from chronic prostatitis and prevent impotence.
Individually, the doctor can recommend the use of folk remedies - herbal medicines.
The treatment of chronic prostatitis is not complete without medication. The consultation must always be carried out by a doctor, the hospital stay is strictly individual and must not be interrupted before the end of the treatment. Consider the drugs used.
To restore blood circulation
To restore good blood circulation in the prostate, medications are prescribed to restore blood circulation. Ignoring these resources will not completely and in the shortest possible time eliminate the inflammatory process.
In the chronic form of the disease, decreased immunity is common, so one of the main tasks in choosing a course of therapy is to increase the body's resistance to any disease. The drugs are prescribed according to the immunogram: interferons, preparations for the thymus, synthetic immunomodulators.
This includes drugs from several groups:
- 3rd generation cephalosporins.
It must be remembered that antibiotic treatment for chronic prostatitis is long, the course of administration is 4-8 weeks.
It is prescribed to normalize the work of the smooth muscles of the urinary tract. The course of treatment is 4-8 weeks.
Any hormonal medication is prescribed only by a doctor in strict need, the funds help to decrease the intensity of the inflammatory process in the gland.
Provides relaxation of striated muscles, relieves pain and discomfort.
They are used only as an additional treatment, but in no case instead. Phytopreparations help to remove swelling from the gland, reduce pain syndrome and cause less stress on human organs.
In addition to long-term drug therapy, some methods are prescribed to relieve the patient's condition and prevent the exacerbation of the disease from returning.
Physiotherapy methods are direct massage, microclysters with medicinal solutions, sit baths, low-level laser radiation, electrical stimulation, magnetotherapy, acupuncture.
In particular, massage, so little appreciated by men because of banal modesty, is indicated for the treatment of chronic prostatitis in almost all cases. Massage allows you to clean the prostate ducts, relieve congestion and inflammation and normalize the functioning of the sex gland. The massage is performed at home or in a medical institution 2 to 3 times a week.
Indications for using surgical methods are acute conditions that pose a threat to a man's life.
Indications for surgical methods
With the total ineffectiveness of the conservative treatment performed, however, surgical intervention is not performed in all cases. Indications for using surgical methods are acute conditions that are a direct threat to a man's life:
- Urethral obstruction.With a strong narrowing of the urethra and interruption of urine flow, an urgent operation is indicated. Often, phimosis is added to the obstruction, so circumcision of the foreskin is also performed.
- Drainage for abscess formation in the prostate.A large accumulation of pus in the gland represents a direct threat to the patient's life (sepsis), so the surgeon's task is to extract it and drain it quickly.
- Restoration of seminal vesicles.It is necessary when they are severely damaged as a result of inflammation. The operation is performed to improve the function of removing secretion from the prostate.
- Complete or partial removal.It is necessary for severe tissue hardening.
Often, men who suffer from chronic prostatitis make the same mistake: they use a method or medication as a treatment, despite the fact that complex therapy is prescribed. The discussions are many, but as a result, the disease remains untreated and manifests itself once again with renewed vigor. Therefore, it is important to remember: none of the treatment methods prescribed by the doctor should be ignored, so the pathology will regress and the man will be able to live a full life.